Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 1 - Financial Fast

O.k. for some reason I feel a great accountability to our financial fast because I've committed to disclosing our victories and failings with you, our blog audience.

So here's a summary of Day 1:

I had to get creative today because I needed to buy a ball (that one of our girl's OT said she needed for core strengthening)and some s'more ingredients for a cook-out we're attending on Sunday.

Allow me to digress for a moment...We're REALLY looking forward to our Sunday outing because we're getting together with Sarah Mei's Chenzhou sisters, Lilly and Lanie. The girls grew up together in China before they were joined with their forever families. We adopted the girls just weeks apart and are blessed to live within a 2 hour radius. Check out Lilly and Laine's family's blogs!!

Back to our financial summary:

I returned 2 pillowcase covers that I purchased and decided I wasn't going to use and received a $18.04 refund. With the refund amount I purchased the ball, graham crackers, and chocolate bars...all for $19.11. I scrounged around for some change in the bottom of my purse and it was an even exchange. Victory #1

A small set-back...I take part in a great book exchange called Paperback Swap. I LOVE books and try to purchase only ones that I know I want to keep; however, occasionally one will come home, and I'll decide it's not a keeper. When this happens I post them on the Paperback Swap site. Once a request comes in for my book, I ship it and get a credit to purchase any other book (for free) on the site. Basically you get books for the cost of postage - $2.38. It's a great program and works almost flawlessly. That brings me to our 1st small set-back...Another member accidentally sent me a book designated for another member, so I agreed to pay the shipping to forward it and in exchange I got an extra "free book" credit. That's great but I had to pay $2.38 out of pocket, today, for postage...sigh.

Summary of Day 1 - In the red - $2.38

I know these details are riveting...just humor me as I hold myself accountable by posting for all the world to see.

As the summer recedes into our memory...and our homeschool is now in full-swing...enjoy a few photos from a day at the beach this summer...



No comments: