Sorry for the long silence on the blog. Now to catch you up on the last few days...
We took the train from Guangzhou to Hong Kong on Friday and spent the night in Hong Kong. It was sad saying good bye to Aron our guide We really enjoyed our time with her and even invited her to come visit us in the States. We're hoping she'll take us up on the offer.
Saturday morning we made the long flight from Hong Kong to Detroit and then a short flight from Detroit to Charlotte. From doorstep to doorstep we were awake for 26 hours and Lily only slept 3 hours. She is an ever ready bunny for sure! I wasn't sitting next to Torie and Michaela during the 15 hour flight from Hong Kong to Detroit, but in God's providence we sat next to the most patient business man. When Lily insisted on pushing her foot against his leg he just said, "Don't worry that probably makes her feel more secure." When she screamed for 20 minutes at a time because she was exhausted he just said, "This must be such a hard transition for her." When I had to crawl over him to go change her diaper and take her for walks, he patiently got up and let us out. I wanted to give that stranger a hug by the time we landed in Detroit. The Lord knew who we needed as a travel companion on that long flight home.
For the last five days I've been battling a sinus infection/bronchitis. I took my Z-Pac at the end of the time in China...it did no good. We headed to our pediatrician/internist on Monday for Lily's appointment. As soon as he heard me speak he wrote a prescription for a stronger antibiotic. Now I'm wishing it would kick-in. Jet lag and being sick too is NOT a fun combination.
On a brighter note, Lily is adapting to the family like she has been here her whole life. She putters around the house and as long as the cats or dog are not in sight (she is not a fan of furry critters yet), she is happy as a clam. This child is VERY easy going. However, I have discovered that my house is not child proofed. Isabelle is not one to explore and get into things. Lily, on the other hand, is a scavenger. She has unpacked my CD's, my DVD's, found tools that were left on low shelves, tried to open every drawer, cabinet door and regular door in the house. It is reminiscent of our first...Torie...however, I'm twenty-one years older. The Lord has a sense of humor for sure:)
Lily's Dr.'s appointments have gone well. The pediatrician thinks she may have some neuro-muscular issues with her legs which we suspected in China. They weren't listed in her file, but she has quite an unusual gait. It's hard to tell if it's just because she was not allowed to walk due to her heart defect or if there is more involved. We have an appointment scheduled with a pediatric neurologist that specializes in neuro-muscular issues, next Wednesday, and we'll find out more then.
Lily's pediatric cardiologist appointment also confirmed what I suspected...her O2 levels were MUCH lower than reported. The last reading that we received was that her SAT's were at 81. Isabelle's O2 levels run around 82, so I'm pretty used to seeing that level of "blue". Lily looked much bluer to me, but I kept trying to rationalize it away...maybe it's just a difference in complexion, maybe it's because she doesn't have a tan, etc. When we stuck the pulse ox on her finger yesterday, her O2 read 56 and that was when she was laying down. When she stood up and moved around much it dropped as low as 48. No wonder she looked blue. That's a lower reading than Isabelle when we brought her home. It's amazing how the Lord has prepared us for each of our children. If I had a child this blue four years ago, I would have had a panic attack. Now it's just "normal" for me.
Needless to say we need to find out why her O2 levels are so low considering she already had her Glenn surgery in China at 8 months old. She is double outlet right ventricle, has a VSD, ASD and has pulmonary stenosis. Our cardiologist believes she's either developed so many collateral vessels that they are bypassing the oxygenated blood or her stenosis is so severe it's not getting the oxygenated blood out to her body. The good news is she has two good pumping ventricles which will give her a better long term prognosis. We are trying to get her heart cath scheduled ASAP, in Charleston, and are hoping it will be August 7th.
The other girls LOVE having Lily home and the most common refrain around here is "She is SOOOO cute!!" She is much smaller than Isabelle. Lily wears only a 18-24 mo. size despite the fact that she is 6 months older than Isabelle. She is just a little peanut. Sarah Mei loves it because she can actually carry Lily around.
And she is quickly becoming a daddy's girl which is thrilling Phil too. Life is good, and I'm enjoying doing absolutely NOTHING...no cooking, no house cleaning, just sitting and holding my girls most of the day as we all learn to live as a family of eight. God is good and we are TRULY blessed!
7 comments:
Simply Awesome! That's all I got to say about that!
We love You
Sherri
Thank you for posting!!! We missed you here (I only checked for updates a few times EVERY day! ) Hope you're feeling better soon! Hasn't anyone told you yet that Moms are not allowed to get sick? Your Lily has got to be the cutest thing I've ever seen! Her smiles light up my computer and make me wonder how I'll stand the wait to get my hands on our little Rachel! Blessings on your beautiful family! Lori
I've been patiently waiting for your "Home" update!! Lily looks SO happy, it's beyond words. God bless you guys. Your flight home reminded me of our sweet Daniel last year, except he had an ear infection (we didn't know) and cried the entire flight home. Stressful stuff. Thank God for that patient and kind man next to you!
Looking forward to hear more about Lily Rose. I have such a soft spot for your family of heart babies:)
Love,
Lisa Murphy
lisa.michelle.murphy@gmail.com
www.everythingmadi.blogspot.com
Welcome home!! We were all so glad to hear you made it home safely. I came home in March with the same illness that turned into pneumonia. Praying you feel better soon. Keep those updates coming!
The Bracco Gang
Yeah, so happy you are home. Check your other email as I sent you something of some significance a while back. Keep it quiet : )
I hope you are feeling better soon. Please know you are welcome here anytime en route to Charleston. If we can help with the children, please let us know.
Welcome Home!!!! So happy to see this post. Hopefully your new antibiotic will kick in soon. It's just so wonderful reading about your early adjustments with your whole family! & I had to laugh - I KNOW I've got some childproofing left to do around here!
Jill G
leaving in 3 days, holding Max in 10!!!
So happy for your update! The girls all look so happy. What an awesome family you have. :)
Post a Comment