Thursday, July 14, 2011

Orphanage Visit







Today we had the wonderful privilege of visiting Lily Rose's orphanage. We were SO impressed with the Shanghai Children's Home. The orphanage is home to over 600 children, and it is clear that each one is well-loved.

Lily was in a room with 18 other children and had four nannies that cared for her and her "classmates." The grounds and rooms were immaculate and more importantly the children were well-fed and well loved. It was evident in every room we visited!

While we were in Lily Rose's room the nannies asked her to show us her crib. She pointed to her crib and was quite proud when they told her she got it right. She wanted to get in her crib but as soon as I put her in she started to cry and wanted me to pick her up again. That was the one and only time she wanted out of my arms the whole trip. Our guide said that when one of the nannies asked Lily Rose to come to her, Lily Rose said "no", I was her mama now. Of course that thrilled me!!

The woman who showed us around is in charge of all adoptions. It was evident she knew the children and cared about them as much as their individual nannies. I had a package to deliver to one friend's daughter, and I asked about several other little girls waiting to be adopted. She took the time to pull each child out of their classroom so I could meet them and take photos.

While at the orphanage Torie and Michaela got to present 15 fleece tie blankets that they made. We gave them to Lily Rose's room and told the orphanage they could use them wherever they are needed. We pray they will be a blessing.

It was a great day, and I'm so thankful we got to visit and can share with Lily Rose how loved she was. Every time a new care giver would walk by us in the hallway they would say oh it's "Jinli" (her Chinese name) and come up and talk to her. What a blessing for us that she was in a place where she was so loved for her first 3 1/2 years!

5 comments:

Our family said...

That's so cool that you all got to go to the orphanage. I love how Torie and Michaela made fleece tie blankets!!! Ya'll are in our prayers!
Love,
Shelby

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

SO happy the visit went so well~ my favorite is that she told the nanny no and wanted you! Yay mom!!!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

we just found your blog in the past few days and were so excited. we are adopting a little girl in shanghai as well. is lily's orphanage the same as shanghai cwi? that is where our daughter is. i do hope so as it was so encouraging to read how well they are cared for there. thank you for sharing your journey... i've been eagerly reading every post this past week! blessings to your family... so happy that things are going well so far! thanks, haley in florida
www.hisplanourjoy.blogspot.com

Shona said...

What an amazing opportunity! Hope you are feeling better. Wonderful to hear that Lilly is already so attached to her mom.

Michelle said...

I got goosebumps thinking about how close you were to our Abbie! Lily Rose is adorable and I pray that your trip continues to go well!