Monday, July 11, 2011

Lily Rose is in Our Arms!

Today we met Lily Rose for the first time, and it couldn't have gone better. I can't say enough good things about the Shanghai Children's Home. They clearly prepared Lily for our meeting. We sent a photo album of family pictures several months ago, and they obviously showed her the pictures and identified us. When they came into the room today they pointed to me and said "there is your momma." She got a huge grin and came right into my arms. She hasn't looked back since. Of course I had a big supply of Cheerios which has worked wonders with all four adoptions. It's the ultimate bribery tool. But she is the happiest, most easy going little girl!

Lily Rose did shed tears at nap time. I got her about 12 inches above the crib mattress before she made it VERY clear that the crib was NOT a good idea. So of course I just put her in bed with me. She whimpered a heart-breaking cry for about 5 minutes before she drifted off to sleep. Once she woke up she was thrilled by the freedom we allowed her when we put her down on the floor and allowed her to walk around the room. She likes to keep tabs on where I am and calls out "Mama" which thrills me!

She is a typical heart "baby". Despite the fact that she is 3 1/2, she is only walking an "old man's walk," as the girls and I call it. The orphanage's are very protective of the heart children and don't let them move around a lot. This would have been a bit disconcerting a few adoptions ago, but since this is our 3rd heart adoption, we're used to it by now. Thankfully we have a wonderful physical therapist at home that gets the girls up to speed in no time.

Other than the obvious large motor developmental delays, she seems to be doing wonderfully. She has definite clubbing of her fingers and toes. This isn't the same as club feet, but is actually related to her heart condition and is from lack of oxygen. Again, this isn't unexpected but is because her SAT's are only in the low 80's and have been for years.

Lily Rose is ticklish and giggles every time we tickle her belly. She has a ready smile and is talking some in the Shanghai dialect. Of course we have no idea what she is saying but it doesn't seem to bother her. She is also willing to imitate any word we say in English and delighted our little girls by saying all their names when we were on Skype with them today!

Thanks for all your prayers. The Lord has been so gracious in preparing Lily's heart for our family and ours for her. Today was a wonderful first day together. Thank you Lord!

7 comments:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

Blessings blessings blessings!!! What a precious post and SO thankful you have Lily Rose in your arms! What a precious doll! She looks healthy and it's amazing what love can do. Praying for a great day today!!!
In His Love,
Sharon

Kevin and Pam said...

She is gorgeous! So happy for you guys.

Our family said...

What a happy girl who must sense how blessed she is to have such a loving forever family! I know you are blessed beyond measure as well! Congratulations.

Shona said...

Yahoo...the girls and I have been checking the blog constantly waiting for the big news and pics. What a doll she is! We are so excited for you all. We will pray that your cold gets better and that all continues to go well.

Sharon said...

Beautiful! So happy for you all! :)

Allison said...

I am crying tears of joy for your family right now. Lily Rose is beautiful and what a happy day for you all! I love hearing such wonderful things about the Shanghai CWI, as our little girl is waiting for us there. I am so excited to follow along on your journey.
Saying prayers for a continued smooth journey.

Jill and Rick said...

Congratulations on your beautiful new daughter!

Jill G from BAAS