Sunday, May 9, 2010

Taking a Moment Off My Hamster Wheel to Celebrate Mother's Day


The last few week I've been like a hamster on an exercise wheel. I keep running faster and faster, continuously going in circles, but not really getting anywhere. When I climb in bed at night I have a "To Do" list longer than the previous day and a sinking feeling that I haven't met all of the emotional (and sometimes physical) needs of my children and husband. I keep reminding myself that the Lord can meet the needs of those around me, and I am not called to meet all their needs. But I confess these feelings of inadequacy are SO hard as a mother. And then I'm reminded, "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

So, today on the Lord's Sabbath and Mother's Day, I'm going to step down from my Hamster Wheel and just be still and rest. And I'm going to celebrate.

I'm going to celebrate....

Isabelle giving me Eskimo kisses through hymn singing time in church today;

I'm going to celebrate...

Sarah Mei filling my life with smiles


I'm going to celebrate...

AnnaGrace embracing her role as a big sister, selling her pony this week and trying her hand at playing the piano...



I'm going to celebrate...

Kaela's eclectic interests, fencing (Kaela's on the left), and passion for helping others including collecting clothes for our planned mission's trip to Haiti this summer...



I'm going to celebrate...

Torie's work ethic as she works almost full-time at Tractor Supply while attending college full-time. We're also celebrating God's hand of protection on her. This week she cut her hand, at work, with a box cutter and had 9 stitches. Then this weekend, while competing, she took a nasty fall off her Thoroughbred. Thankfully she was scrapped up and is sore but was not seriously hurt.












I'm going to celebrate...

that I'm married to a wonderful, godly (really good-looking) man, and he is SO patient with me!!!



And I'm going to celebrate...

that I serve the Lord who has blessed me with the desires of my heart.

"It is good to praise the Lord and Make music to your name, O Most High, to proclaim Your love in the morning and Your faithfulness at night." Ps. 92:1,2

4 comments:

Kevin and Pam said...

So much to celebrate! Happy Mother's Day! Have a great day and relax!

Our family said...

What a beautiful post, Elaine! I can certainly relate to your hamster wheel analogy! Have you seen me running beside you by chance : ) Your post reminded me to celebrate the important and rest in God's goodness. The work will be there forever - until we die anyway! There are no to-do lists in heaven, right?

Jen Barbee said...

This made me laugh. I can so relate to the hamster wheel. Thank goodness that we can rely on Him for strength, b/c we certainly couldn't do it on our own.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ms. Elaine. With all the stress that we are going through with my dad's stroke, your post made me stop and praise the Lord for all the wonderful things in my life.
Brittney Aldea