Sunday, March 17, 2013

Final Day in Jinan and Medical Exam

We're now in Guangzhou, and I've discovered my VPN won't work here. A BIG thanks to Torie for being willing to post the blog posts for me this week! I see a lot of Starbucks, as repayment, in my future!!
Friday was our last day in Jinan. We walked around a park, bought a few groceries, and ate at a Chinese fast food restaurant. Our experience in China, this time, has been much different than in the past. Our guides have only been available until around 1:00 p.m. It's a good thing I'm comfortable exploring on my own, or we would have spent a lot of time in our hotel room.
Walking in China alone means enduring lots of blatant stares. In Jinan we saw less than five non-Asian faces during the entire five day stay. You can imagine the curiosity that two Caucasian faces, one Asian, English-speaking child and an Asian baby cause! I realize that I'm at ease in the country now when the majority of the time I don't even notice the sometimes discreet, other times wide-mouth stares that are directed our way.
Of course I returned the favor today when I saw a group of high school age youth at the park. I think they enjoyed the attention and began waving at the camera. When entering high school, in China, uniforms are required. You can see an example of uniforms in this photo.
 
 
 
 
Jinan's city tree is the weeping willow, and it's flower is the tulip. Here was a non-functioning fountain featuring the tulip. I would love to see the fountain during the warm months. The parks and fountains are beautiful here.

 
The park also had an interesting array of statues commemorating ancient men and women who have contributed to China's history. Each statue included a plaque explaining the contribution the individual made.

 
 
After walking in the park, we made a trip to the grocery store to buy Savannah Faith some formula. Shopping in a Chinese grocery store is always an adventure. You only thought we had a plethora of choices! Notice the row of baby formulas on the shelf in the background. This was ONE of the shelves of formula. Another shelf equally as long was next to this one.

 

 
In addition to navigating the aisles, you also must navigate the crowds.


 
 
And if you find yourself with a sweet tooth, don't despair. Nestle's found its way to China.
 

 
Need make-up?? Just drop by the L'Oreal counter.
 
 
 
 
 
After grocery shopping we stopped for lunch at a Chinese fast food restaurant.

 
 

Trust me, this was better than any fast food restaurant in the States. I ate fresh stir-fried beef with red and green peppers and onions. Michaela chose sweet and sour chicken and fresh green beans, and AnnaGrace had a bowl of steamed rice with pork. The food was absolutely delicious!
If you think we weren't already getting enough stares, AnnaGrace posed with the fast food chicken for me. Yes, as if there was any doubt, we are crazy Americans.
Besides enduring lots of looks, the other adventure in exploring China alone is crossing the streets.
In China the pedestrians do NOT have the right of way. Every time you cross the streets you take your life in your hands. After 6 trips to China (4 for Michaela) we are used to the timing of dashing between cars, bicycles and scooters and living to tell about it. AnnaGrace, on the other hand, is finding the experience a little nerve-wracking. She firmly grasps one of our hands and proceeds to give us instructions on when she thinks it's safe to cross. It is providing great entertainment for Michaela and I!
 
 
 
 
 
One of the interesting things in Jinan was passing a Muslim area. We saw this in 2007 when we visited Xian as well. As Christians it's a reminder of how important it is for us to be sending the Gospel to every corner of the world!

 
 
 
 
Friday evening we flew to Guangzhou. It's always like coming home to get to the Island. We're staying at the Victory, which is certainly not the most popular place for adoptive families to stay anymore, but still our favorite.
This morning I took Savannah Faith to her medical appointment. She looked so little and indignant as she waited to see the Dr.

 
 
We spent the rest of the day walking around the Island and relaxing.
Savannah Faith continues her food boycott. She will play with her Cheerio container but will not allow one to pass her lips.
 
 
 
She is a good sport and is already learning what it means to have sisters and to be subjected to their antics. Including having stacking cups stacked on her head. The joys of family.

 
 
 
 
She is opening up to us more and more and beginning the signs of true attachment - eye contact, snuggling and reaching her hands for us. We're praising the Lord for His hand in all of this.






 
 

6 comments:

Paige said...

Oh my she is absolutely precious!!! Have a wonderful end of your trip!

Katie rayn said...

She's beautiful! Enjoying reading as we'll be getting our little girl in Jinan in a couple of months!

The B Family said...

Just look at that sweet smile!!!! :) So glad you know your way around, too! It's warming up nicely in the states...looking forward to a zoo trip soon!

Jan said...

Elaine,
I'm so glad that your trip is going so well. Savannah Faith (I'm really liking a double name for her!) is beautiful. We got LOA this past Mon!!!!!

Connie J said...

Hi, Elaine! It was so nice to meet you on the island today! I pray you have a blessed week!

Brooke said...

She is so beautiful! Glad you made it safely to Guangzhou! Enjoy your time there.