While I am filling out paperwork, the girls are busy keeping the farm running. Below is a picture of one very cold morning last week. Although we have freeze-proof water pumps, one of them froze anyway. This necessitated multiple trips from the house to the horse pastures, a wagon in-tow, with buckets of warm water. For such big animals, horses can be rather fragile. Our oldest mare (age 26) won't drink water if it is too cold. I know, I know, some of you are saying...just let her get thirsty and she'll drink. Unfortunately, if she doesn't drink enough she develops colic (a severe horse stomachache) which can require a vet visit and in extreme cases, surgery. Needless to say we don't let it get to this point; thus, the girls with their wagon and buckets of warm water. I have to admit, I was quite content to sit by the fire and fill out adoption paperwork while the girls braved the cold.


One of the reasons we love living on a farm is because of the responsibility it instills in our girls. Horses must get fed whether you feel like it or not. However, we'll be adding laying hens and meat hens to the farm this spring, and the girls have unequivocally informed me that the hens will be my "job." They are not enamored with the feathered friends!!
On another note, Michaela is playing club volleyball for the 1st time. Last weekend was the first tournament. She had an impressive string of serves and did a great job setting.


After enjoying the volleyball tourny, it was back to our adoption dossier. It is now complete except for 1 form that the state must mail to us. Upon receiving that form, I'll drive the dossier to Raleigh to have it authenticated by the NC Secretary of State. Then the packet will be overnighted to a courier in Washington DC who will hand-carry the precious cargo to both the US State Dept. and the Ethiopian State Dept. for authentication. After these 3 steps, the dossier will be submitted to Ethiopia for translation and approval. Once our dossier is on the way to Ethiopia, we will be officially placed on the waiting list for our agency. We have requested one or two girls under the age of 4 with or without special needs. But we are praying for God's leading as the agency matches us with our daughter(s). The average wait for referral is 6 months or less. After we're matched with a child, the agency will order a 2nd medical report on the child and our documents will go to court in Ethiopia to make the child(ren) our official daughters. We will travel five weeks after a successful court date. In my best human estimation, our daughters will be home for Christmas. What a great Christmas present that will be!
Pray with us that God will provide the finances needed to submit the dossier to Ethiopia, and that He will begin preparing the hearts of our daughters in Ethiopia to join their forever family.
"One adoption won't change the world but it will change the world for that
child."
(I saw this quote on someone's e-mail tag...not sure who to give the credit to but I love the quote!)
6 comments:
Yah!!!! I'm so happy for you. Your speed at paperwork is amazing!!! I will be praying for your future daughters. The Lord knows who they are and I am so excited to meet them one day!
I am full of faith that they will indeed be home to celebrate the holidays with their loving family.
Doing the Happy Sisterchick Dance!!! You know that one?? Praying blessings and favor as the process takes flight. We love you and your precious family.
Elaine - finally getting a chance to come up for air and say hi! Congratulations on having so much done on your dossier, that's wonderful news!
Rebecca is still adjusting pretty well. She's great at home, but when we are with a group she pretty much wants everyone but me. Just trying to remain patient, she'll come around :-)
Oh, and I grew up with horses to tend and you are exactly right. There's a lot to be learned when caring for horses!
Glad to hear that the Hortons are all doing well.... Congrats on the final steps of the paperwork. Let's get together soon!
Hi! I am a fellow CWA person, and we are adopting from Ethiopia as well! I don't know how I found your blog, but it just popped up.
Anyway, I am just excited to "find" someone else who is in the same stage as we are! :) It was fun to read about a familiar process.
Our blog is sydjackraehawks.blogspot.com, but I have to admit that I haven't kept it up as much as I would like.
Post a Comment